Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The People I Loathe on the Road

This is a post that has been in my mind for quite a long time. I was reminded of it just as I was driving this evening.
  1. The first kind poses a potential risk to every two-wheeler rider (more importantly to one sans a helmet) who has to stop at traffic signals next to buses. The poor rider can anytime become the target of an inadvertent game of Hit-the-Spitoon by the passengers in the six-wheeler.
  2. This is a more dangerous lot. The Murderers, I would call them. "If you want to kill yourself filling your lungs with nicotine, then go do it alone. Why try to kill us too?" is what I feel like shouting at them, especially in public places like Bus Stops. There have been many instances when I've woken up bright and left for college with a fresh mind, to only end up holding my breath or taking in the foul smell in the Bus stop early in the morning. Implementation of the 'Ban on Smoking in Public Places'? My foot.
  3. This lot, resembles the previous one in its proposed threats. But the people here mostly do not harm themselves more than the riders behind them. Yes, these are the people who don't bother with the emission control norms for two-wheelers. I wouldn't have mentioned them had I not been afflicted with cough for over a month after an instance of having to wait at a signal just behind a dragon in a motorbike's form for about 100 seconds. The most irritating part came when the guy driving the contraption turned and gave a meek grin at all of us, the sufferers behind. Since then, I have conscientiously started checking my own scooter's emission (though Appa leaves no room for doubt there, normally).
So there we go! If I find more kind of people to hate, I shall update this list.

2 comments:

Roshni said...

True, Shilpa! Very irritating!
& then there's yet another category which gets on my nerves..
The people who are behind us at a signal & who keep honking continuously to ask us to move when we're waiting for the red to give way for the green signal.. You turn behind & try showing them the Red signal, they give you an "Only-fools-follow-the-signal" look! How I wish I could stuff some sense into their heads!

Shilpa Suresh said...

:) true!
And hey Rosh, thanks for reading and following my posts.. Looking forward to some great posts from you 'through your lens' :)